· Education is a means whereby students become responsible and productive citizens.
· Students and staff should accept responsibility for their actions.
· Students and staff have the right to a disciplined and safe learning environment.
· Students and staff have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
· Students and staff should be lifelong learners.
The Columbus Alternative School Will…
· Be designed to meet the individual needs of students who are unable to benefit educationally from the comprehensive school environments.
· Provide the academic and social training necessary to assist students in becoming productive members of society.
Students interested in CAS will complete an application for admittance, are screened by a committee, and recommended to the Superintendent of Schools for approval/admittance. Students will work toward their diplomas through an individualized academic plan which is created by high school counselors. Credits will be earned through self paced/student centered online instruction. All students will be provided with instruction from highly qualified teachers and instructional aides.
Students will receive a high school diploma upon completing all district and state requirements and will be allowed to participate in the Alternative School's commencement exercises at the School Boards monthly meeting.
related activities, or in any vehicle operated by the district. Bullying may be
verbal or written expression or expression through electronic means, or physical
conduct. Bullying is not tolerated by the district and any student or parent of a
student who believes that the student or another student has experienced
bullying or that a student has engaged in bullying is encouraged to immediately
report the incident. Retaliation against anyone involved in the complaint process
is a violation of district policy and is prohibited.
Students or parents may report an alleged incident of bullying, orally or in writing,
to a teacher, counselor, principal or other district employee. Students or parents
may contact the district to obtain an incident report form that may be used to
submit the complaint.
Please note that after submission of the complaint to the district employee, the
district may assign the complaint to a campus administrator to follow up on the
submitted complaint and any other important matters pertaining to the
complaint. We encourage you to communicate with your designated campus
administrator during this time.